With an unbelievable sauce made from roasting tomatoes and feta, this easy one-dish Mediterranean Chicken Bake is a quick fix that’s sooo amazing over rice or pasta. Read on and I, Chef Jenn, will show you all my tips to make this healthy chicken recipe from scratch!
It only takes a handful of good-quality ingredients to make this stunning dish, and with a sauce that’s perfect over pasta or rice, it’s easy enough for weeknight dinners.
What You Need to Make Mediterranean Chicken Bake with Feta
- Chicken breasts – skinless chicken breasts are what I pick for this dish
- Grape tomatoes – cherry tomatoes would also work
- Feta cheese – save a bit for the end
- Garlic – fresh is best
- Fresh thyme
- Greek or Italian seasoning
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
How To Make This Mediterranean Chicken Recipe
- Mix the tomatoes with the sliced shallot, minced garlic, half crumbled feta cheese, and olive oil in the bottom of a 9×13 Pyrex casserole dish or something similar.
- Make room in the middle for the chicken breasts and lay them flat without touching.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and top with the Greek or Italian seasoning.
- Bake uncovered at 375-F for about 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked to 165-F.
- Top with remaining feta and cook an additional 2-3 minute to melt the feta.
- Serve and enjoy!
Chef Jenn’s Tips to Make This Baked Mediterranean Chicken Recipe
- If your chicken breasts are quite thick, slice them horizontally creating two equal-sized portions so that they don’t take forever to cook.
- Fresh thyme gives this dish a lovely flavor. If you don’t have fresh, substitute 1/2 tsp of dried thyme.
- Use whole milk feta (not low calorie/low fat) as it makes for a creamier sauce.
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes if you like a bit of heat with this easy Mediterranean chicken bake.
What To Serve With Chicken With Feta and Tomatoes
Creamy Spinach Orzo is a lovely dish with complementary flavors, or serve this tasty and hearty dish with a simple side of pasta or rice.
Having another vegetable on the side will make this a full meal, and these Brussels Sprouts with Brown Butter and Almonds are just the side to round out this meal. And for dessert? Check out this Apple Smoothie! Also try this bread machine pizza dough and make a delish flatbread to go with this dish.
How To Store This Baked Chicken Mediterranean Recipe
Keep this delish dish tightly covered in the fridge for 4-5 days or you can freeze it.
To freeze this recipe:
Thoroughly chill the chicken and sauce and package it in a freezer-safe container or plastic bag for up to three months.
Try to package the chicken with as much sauce around it as possible to keep it from drying out.
Thaw it in the fridge overnight then heat it in the microwave or in the oven until warmed through.
Yes! This is a low-fat and low-carb meal that’s loaded with good fats from the olive oil. You can reduce the fat further by using low-fat ricotta and cutting back on the olive oil. Serve it with veggies to make this meal keto.
It all depends on how thick and how cold your chicken breast were when they went into the oven. Plan on about 30 minutes to cook chicken at 375-F. But, you should always use a meat thermometer to make sure the chicken reaches a safe eating temperature of 165-F.
Cut into the thickest part of the chicken breast and examine it for any pinkness. If there’s pink, it’s not cooked. You can also put the chicken breast on a white plate and cut into it. The juices should be clear before it is safe to eat.
LIke This? Also Try:
Step By Step Process
Mediterranean Chicken Bake with Tomatoes & Feta
- Mix the tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, shallot, thyme and half of the feta in the bottom of a 9 x 13 Pyrex baking dish or something similar.
- Make room for the chicken breasts and lay them in so that they're in a single layer without touching. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and the Italian or Greek seasoning.
- Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Top with remaining feta and bake an additional 3-4 minute to melt the feta.
- Serve and enjoy!
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed.