Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls
Ooey, gooey, and filled AND topped with apples, these amazing Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls are going to be your family's new favorite dessert!
Prep Time1 hour hr
Cook Time40 minutes mins
Total Time1 hour hr 40 minutes mins
Keyword: apple pie, apple pie cinnamon rolls, apples, cinnamon, cinnamon rolls
Servings: 12 rolls
For the dough:
- 1 cup milk warmed but not hot
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour divided
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon powdered cinnamon
- 1 package freeze-dried apples a 1.25 ounce bag
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 granny smith apple peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
To make the dough:
Add yeast and warm milk to the bowl of a stand mixer, then add the eggs, melted butter (make sure its not HOT) and sugar to the bowl. Use the paddle attachment to combine.
Add in the salt and four cups of flour, using the paddle to mix until just blended. Let this mixture sit for 5 minutes so the flour absorbs all the liquid.
Change from the paddle to the dough hook and knead on medium speed for 5-7 mins. The dough will still stick to the sides of the bowl, but should still hold shape. If it does not, add in the reserved flour, a few spoonfuls at a time until it the dough starts to come together into a ball.
Spray a large bowl with nonstick spray, add the dough to it and cover with a cloth. Allow the dough to rise in a warm place for 35-40 mins (or until doubled in size.)
To make the filling:
Add the melted butter, light brown sugar, cinnamon, apples, and cream to a small bowl and mix well.
Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and roll the dough to a 24 x 15-inch rectangle.
Drop dollops of the filling all over the dough, then spread it evenly over the top surface of the dough.
Starting on the long end, roll the dough up tightly jelly-roll style. Cut into 12 slices and place into the baking dish that's been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and let the rolls rise for 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375-F.
Pour 1/2 cup heavy cream over the rolls right before baking. Bake for 20-25 mins until the rolls are lightly golden brown and the center is cooked through.
To make the frosting and topping:
In a large bowl, blend softened cream cheese until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla. Beat until combined.
In a small saucepan add butter, apples, brown sugar, and vanilla. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Once all the sugar is completely melted, pour it into a bowl and let cool.
To assemble your amazing Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls:
Chef Jenn's Tips
- This is not a quick recipe. With the rising and baking time, expect to spend several hours on these. However, the smell of the baking Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls will have everyone in the house drooling and waiting for them to be done!
- Freeze-dried apples can be found in the snack or healthy section of your grocery store. You can use a food processor to chop them up.
- You can make the cream cheese frosting and apple topping ahead of time. Keep them tightly covered in the fridge until you're baking the cinnamon rolls, then let them warm up on the counter.
- You can make the dough the day before and assemble the cinnamon rolls. Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and pop them into the fridge. Then, just let them warm up on the counter for 20 minutes before baking.
Serving: 1roll | Calories: 649kcal | Carbohydrates: 93g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 291mg | Potassium: 188mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 55g | Vitamin A: 977IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 3mg