Smoked Sweet Potatoes with Chipotle Compound Butter
Fluffy, sweet, smoky, and with a hit of spice from the chipotle butter, these Smoked Sweet Potatoes pair perfectly with anything off the grill or smoker!
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 sweet potatoes scrubbed clean
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Chipotle Compound Butter
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Preheat your Traeger smoker (or another electric smoker) to 250-F.
Scrub the sweet potatoes and pat them dry with paper towels.
Rub the potatoes with the oil and then sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
Set them onto the smoker and smoke at 250-F for about 2 hours or until they are soft and probe tender.
Cut the sweet potatoes open while hot and top them with the chipotle compound butter.
To make the Chipotle Compound Butter
Add the softened butter, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, green onion, smoked paprika, onion powder, and garlic to a food processor.
Pulse until well combined.
Transfer the butter to a large sheet of plastic wrap and roll it into a 1-inch wide cylinder.
Refrigerate until ready to slice and use.
Chef Jenn's Tips
- How many sweet potatoes per person will you need? I count on one smallish potato per person. If they are really big, I'll serve each person a half a sweet potato.
- Pierce the sweet potato with a probe to see how tender they are inside, or give them a bit of a squeeze. They should be soft, but not so overcooked that the sugars start to ooze out of them.
- What kind of pellets should you use to smoke sweet potatoes? I find pellet flavor doesn't really matter - use whatever you've got on hand!
Serving: 1potato | Calories: 479kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 1708mg | Potassium: 794mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 33094IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 2mg