Air Fryer Beef Empanadas
Light, flaky, and filled with a beefy and cheesy filling, these air fryer Beef Empanadas are made with pre-made pastry to cut prep time!
Prep Time20 minutes mins
Cook Time16 minutes mins
Total Time36 minutes mins
Cuisine: American, Mexican, Tex-Mex
Keyword: air fryer, air fryer beef empanadas, beef, beef empanadas, empanadas
Servings: 8 servings
Author: Chef Jenn
- pie dough enough for 2 pies
- 3 cups chopped beef leftover roast works well
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup shredded potatoes
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg
Mix the beef, shredded cheese, shredded potato, refried beans, chopped onion, and seasonings in a bowl.
Lay the dough on a lightly floured flat surface.
Cut rounds of dough with a 2-3 inch round cookie cutter or biscuit cutter. You should have about 30 discs.
Add filling to half of each disc of dough, leaving room around the edges, so you’re able to seal the empanadas. Take care not to overfill.
Fold the other half of the dough over the filling, creating a half-moon shape. Press the edges with your fingers or a fork to seal.
Preheat the air fryer to 375-F.
Beat an egg, then brush the top of each empanada with a thin layer of egg.
Transfer the empanadas to the air fryer egg-side up and air fry for 8 minutes, then flip them. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until they're golden brown.
Alternatively, you can bake the empanadas on an air fryer rack in an oven-style or basket-style air fryer. Note: basket style can take 1-2 minutes less time.
Serve and enjoy!
Chef Jenn's Tips
- You can make the empanadas and then freeze them before cooking. Then, just pop the frozen empanadas into the air fryer and add 2-3 minutes of cooking time.
- All air fryers cook at different speeds. Check on your empanadas after about 6 minutes and adjust the cooking time as needed. Don't overcook them!
- Like your empanadas spicier? Add finely chopped jalapeno or more chipotle powder to the mix.
- Cook your empanadas in batches, so you don't overcrowd the air fryer.
Serving: 4empanadas | Calories: 203kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 384mg | Potassium: 419mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 157IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 2mg