Salmon Pasta Salad
Creamy and herby and loaded with salmon, this easy and tasty Salmon Pasta Salad is perfect with leftover salmon. Hearty enough to be a meal on its own, it's a great summer salad or whenever you're in the mood for salmon!
Servings: 8 servings
- 10 ounces orecchiette cooked to al dente, drained, and chilled
- 8 ounces cooked salmon grilled, baked, or pan-fried
- 2 cups grated cucumber from 1 large English cucumber
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
Shred the cucumber on a box grater and add it to a strainer. Liberally salt the cucumber - about 1 teaspoon of kosher salt - and mix it well. Let it rest for about 20 minutes to drain out some of the liquid.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. You want the orechiette to be al dente. Drain it and chill it under cold running water.
Mix the pasta with sour cream, mayonnaise, dill, and parsley.
Give the draining cucumber a gentle squeeze to remove a bit more liquid, and then add it to the pasta. Mix well.
Add the salmon. Don't over-mix the pasta to keep the salmon in nice, lovely chunks.
Season and serve!
Chef Jenn's Tips
- Don't overcook the pasta, and chill it as soon as you drain it. Pasta salads have a better texture if the pasta is a bit more al dente.
- Sour cream and mayonnaise together make a delicious dressing for pasta salads. The sour cream lends creaminess and tanginess that is especially good in this salad.
- If your salad looks a bit dry (some sour cream has more moisture than others) you can add a few spoonfuls of water to make it nice and creamy.
- Fresh dill really makes this salad pop and a wee bit of lemon really makes the flavors come together nicely.
- Baked salmon is my first choice for this recipe, but grilled salmon or pan-fried salmon will also work.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 65mg | Potassium: 293mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 330IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg