Leftover Roast Beef Stew
Meaty, saucy, and filled with tender veg, this hearty Leftover Roast Beef Stew makes great use of all your tasty leftovers!
Prep Time15 minutes mins
Cook Time15 minutes mins
Course: Main Course
Keyword: beef, beef stew, carrots, corned beef and potatoes, leftover roast beef stew, roast beef
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 cups leftover roast beef trimmed and cubed
- 1 pound small potatoes diced
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms quartered or sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces baby carrots
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
Peel the potatoes (or leave the skins on if they are thin and unblemished) and cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Simmer them in the beef broth with 1/2 teaspoon salt, until they are fork-tender. About 5-8 minutes.
Meanwhile, saute the diced onion and celery in the butter or oil until soft, over medium heat, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
Add the mushrooms to the vegetables and cook until they give off their liquid.
Add the flour to the vegetables and mix well. Add the cooking liquid from the potatoes, stir well to dissolve the flour, and heat over medium heat to thicken.
Add the carrots and bay leaves and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the carrots are fork-tender. Add the potatoes and the beef and season with about a half teaspoon of Montreal Steak seasoning to start (you can always add a bit more.) Heat it through and serve!
Chef Jenn's Tips
- Trim the fatty or gristly bits from the leftover roast beef and cut it into bite-sized cubes.
- Don't worry if your gravy seems really thick. The vegetables will give off some liquid while finishing cooking and will thin out the sauce. If it's still too thick, and a smidge more beef broth or even water to thin it out.
- Conversely, if it's too thin, make a bit of a slurry (1 tbsp all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons cold water mixed well) and add that to the gravy and simmer it to thicken some more.
- No Montreal Steak Seasoning? Just season the Leftover Roast Beef Stew with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Serving: 1.5cups | Calories: 625kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 53g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 178mg | Sodium: 511mg | Potassium: 1862mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 393IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 7mg