Chicken and Cheddar Dumplings (Instant Precision Dutch Oven)
Thick, creamy, chunky and topped with fluffy dumplings, this Chicken and Cheddar Dumplings recipe is so good and it's an easy fix in your IP Dutch Oven!
Prep Time20 minutes mins
Cook Time30 minutes mins
Course: Main Course
Keyword: chicken, chicken & dumplings, chicken and cheddar dumplings, chicken and dumplings, instant pot, instant precision dutch oven, IP dutch oven
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch cubes and seasoned with 1/2 teaspooon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/3 cups all purpose flour mixed with 1/3 cup water
- 3 cups low or no sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or milk
For the dumplings:
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1.5 teaspoons dried chives
- 2/3 cup milk
Set the Instant Precision Dutch Oven to saute, 20 minutes.
Add the oil and when the oil is shimmering but not smoking, add the seasoned chicken and brown it. Work in two batches so you don't steam it.
Flip the chicken over after about 2-3 minutes and brown the other side. Set the chicken aside and repeat with the second batch of chicken.
Add the butter to the IP Dutch Oven and then add the carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. Continue to saute for 5-6 minutes or until the onion is softened but not browned.
Add the white wine and continue to cook until most of the wine has evaporated.
Turn the IP off and add the flour, mixing it in well.
Add about 1/3 of the chicken broth, mixing well to disperse the flour. Add the remaining chicken broth and mix well.
Add the chicken to the IP and set it to Manual Mode 2, 300-F for 15 minutes. Put the lid on and watch it do its magic.
To make the dumplings:
Meanwhile, make the dumplings by mixing the butter with the flour. Use your fingers to blend it in well. The flour mixture should be shaggy and grainy.
Add the chives, salt and cheese and mix well with a fork. Then, add the milk or cream. Mix well with the fork utnil it is all combined. Add an additional 1 tablespoon of milk at a time until the flour is just barely all absorbed.
When the time is up on the IP, remove the lid and add large spoonfuls (about 1/4 cup) of dumpling batter to the top of the chicken mixture. You should get about 6 dumplings.
Put the lid back on and set it to Manual Mode 2, 340-F for 10 minutes.
When the time is up remove the dumplings, add the cream to the chicken mixture, and season with salt and pepper.
Serve and enjoy!
Chef Jenn's Tips
- When browning the chicken, work in batches so it browns instead of steams. Keep the IP on sear for the highest heat when making this Dutch oven chicken and dumplings recipe.
- Dice the veggies all about the same size so they cook evenly.
- Want more veg? Add 1 cup frozen peas and 1 cup frozen corn when you add the dumplings.
- Don't overmix the dumpling dough or they could get tough. Just mix only enough to incorporate all the flour.
- Sharp cheddar works best in these dumplings.
Serving: 1.5cups | Calories: 611kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 157mg | Sodium: 621mg | Potassium: 1079mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 8822IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 213mg | Iron: 3mg